Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Last 60 Minutes

I almost felt relieved when I saw it was already 4:30pm. 60 minutes to go! Hooray! I was excited to go home and was already busy writing down my schedule of endless deliveries for tomorrow when my driver whom I sent to the bank for cash deposit called me up and told me that the bank employee said there was no cash on the bag I gave him. My driver was so trusting enough not to doublecheck the bag earlier before leaving it to the bank!

Of course I was in panic. That was Php 6000 and intended for our branch employees! I had that familiar feeling of being betrayed.

Around 2 months ago, I gave a cash salary to my employee and it was already the next morning that I realized I gave him more than what he was supposed to get. (After I checking that my cash ending balance was incorrect) But of course, (and to my great disbelief) he denied it. When I asked him how much money did I give him, he answered so quickly, complete with the bill denominations and all, and got his "witness" ready. It happened so quickly that it seemed rehearsed.

I really couldn't believe that somebody is capable of such deceit. I was like 200% sure that I gave him like 500-peso excess but he totally denied it and I couldn't even say a word staring at him denying it right in front of my face. How can a person do such a thing?

But since I had no proof and since he must have already connived with another employee, I let it pass. He won't get any richer with just 500 pesos anyway.

But this afternoon when I lost that 6,000, it was just distressing. I talked with the front teller of the bank and he told me that he found no money in the bag. Sounds familiar. He seemed so sincere over the phone. I even doubted my own confidence that I put the money inside. But I looked everywhere and was again 200% convinced that I really put the money in the bag. I even called the bank manager who happened to be our family's friend and asked for help but the investigation was futile. I somehow expected it, as the money can be easily hidden and the deposit slip thrown away.

I blamed myself for trusting people too much or simply for being too complacent on money matters. I've always had this feeling that people are good by nature and that if your intentions for people are good, generally, they would give back the same kindness to you.

For the second time, I was cheated with money. I felt disappointed and betrayed by the world. In my whole life I never once thought of fooling other people just to get a few bucks, or a couple of thousand. Are people really that evil nowadays? When they think nobody's looking, would they just do things cheating other people for their own benefit?

I know that's too naive. And maybe, believing that people are innately good is dumb. This is a fallen world.

Whoever got that money will never get away. That I am sure of. He may think that he had already got away with his little evil scheme, laughing wickedly for his victory. I may not be able to catch him at all but I know that there is always someone greater than us watching our every move and knowing our hearts. He will never get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by =)